IDOT says employee dies in central Ill. accident
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - State officials say an Illinois Department of Transportation worker has died in an accident in Stark County in central Illinois.
IDOT Secretary Ann Schneider says 49-year-old Michael Holmes of Wyoming died in the accident. She says he was a monthly snowbird worker for IDOT. She says he had been with the IDOT winter operations team since November 2007.
State officials say law enforcement authorities are investigating the case.
No details of the accident were provided.
Gov. Pat Quinn also issued a statement, saying he was ordering the state's flag to be flown at half-staff to honor Holmes. Quinn called Holmes a hero. The governor says Holmes "gave his life while making our roads safer."
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Investigating whether pilot had practised landing at Diego GarciaThe island is south of the Maldives occupied by the US navySeized simulator from his home outside ...
- Multimillionaire father exposes his ostentatious lifestyle in Chrisley Knows Best
- Band of TEN brothers: When the call came to serve King and Country, all the sons in one family went off to war. Amazingly, every one came home
- Bank robber strikes Elmhurst, Western Springs on same day, FBI says
- L'Wren Scott's last months spent alone as she worked and Mick Jagger toured
- Chicago City Council committee OKs plastic bag ban
- Chicago man charged with giving girlfriend HIV; wife died of AIDS
- Morgan Park to host prom the same day as track finals
- Special day at Wrigley Field didn't take the cake
- 3 shot in Lawndale near 16th, St. Louis
- Severe storms loom across central US this weekend
- Government to review Northwestern bid to unionize
- Ex-Wheaton North Booster Club president pleads guilty to theft
- NLRB grants review of Northwestern football players union ruling
- Jobless rate drops in most Illinois metro areas