IDOT says employee dies in central Ill. accident
SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - State officials say an Illinois Department of Transportation worker has died in an accident in Stark County in central Illinois.
IDOT Secretary Ann Schneider says 49-year-old Michael Holmes of Wyoming died in the accident. She says he was a monthly snowbird worker for IDOT. She says he had been with the IDOT winter operations team since November 2007.
State officials say law enforcement authorities are investigating the case.
No details of the accident were provided.
Gov. Pat Quinn also issued a statement, saying he was ordering the state's flag to be flown at half-staff to honor Holmes. Quinn called Holmes a hero. The governor says Holmes "gave his life while making our roads safer."
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Amanda Knox's ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito caught near Italian border after murder conviction upheld
Near border...Raffaele Sollecito arrives to attend the final hearing before the third court verdict for the murder of British student Meredith Kercher. The court upheld ...
- Justin Bieber secretly 'cried his eyes out' after cocky court appearance and THAT smiling mug shot
- Bensenville teen girl Jessica Radoicic reported missing by mother
- DJ is taken off the air because of the actions of her estranged husband
- Lottery winner flushes $544,000 down toilet ‘so no one else could have it’
- Slim pickings for college scholarships
- I-Team finds man wanted by Interpol in Chicago
- Fmr. football star Jim Angsten battles Lou Gehrig's disease
- Campaign to curb military sexual assaults continues
- 1 dead in fire at Woodstock residence
- Pistorius' neighbor testifies, accounts moments after shooting
- New resolution proposed for photo enforced speed zones
- Mayors to discuss issues facing big US cities
- 'Tyler's Troops' give boy with cancer an unforgettable birthday
- Wake up and smell the bacon with a smartphone app